So having complete my goal to visit 70 countries before I turned 40 and I completed the Trailwalker I have been pondering my next goal. Needing a bit of motivation and inspiration not to give up my recent fitness I grabbed ‘Runners World’ magazine at the airport and learnt something – you can do a marathon in Antartica!
Mulling this over and following some fun browsing on the internet I have set myself a new challenge:
To Run the World!
I plan to complete a run of some kind (a fun 5km, a 10km or half-marathon) on every continent – before I turn 50.
This combines travel and running – perfect!! I hope to find quirky runs as well as physically challenging ones. There are runs in the Arctic as well as the Antartica – the latter is already booked for the next 2 years and is rather expensive, so I’ll need to do some fundraising for that. There’s one on Easter Island (my ultimate dream destination). The Medoc Run takes place in a French wine region and wine features heavily – definitely got to do that one!
My runs have already kicked off with the “Beat the Banana” 1km Junior run which I completed with Tali on Sunday 15th March 2015. I have recently completed a 6k on 28th March and just registered for a 10k in Florida. I’m excited about my new goal. I’ll create a page for posts related to this on this blog and might also create a facebook page. Watch this space…
I hope that this is a goal in which others can get involved too. Wanna join me? There are lots of different ways to do this and it doesn’t have to involve you wearing lycra…
- Join me on a run (OK, so this could involve lycra)
- Join me at a place where I will run (you can take photos!)
- Suggest a run for me to complete
- Suggest a charity or cause that I run for or raise awareness for
- Suggest a place for me to run in or along. I don’t think all my runs will be ‘official’ races. I really hope to run along the avenue of Baobab trees in Madagascar.
- Send me a pair of socks to run in, though I can’t guarantee that I’ll wear both at the same time 😉
Wish me luck – the next post on this will hopefully be after my 10km Midnight Run in Florida!